*Important: We are still currently serving customers under mandatory safety policies to help protect all involved from COVID-19. Learn more here.

Call today!

When Was the Last Time You Had Your Dryer Vents Professionally Cleaned?

By | Tagged with: Tags: , , , | Comments Off on When Was the Last Time You Had Your Dryer Vents Professionally Cleaned?

Over the years, Magic Sweep has found that our customers are surprised to learn that their clothes dryer vent and exhaust system should be professionally cleaned once a year. An easily forgotten maintenance task, neglecting to have your dryer vent thoroughly cleaned annually can lead to a dangerous house fire. According to the Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA), 15,000 fires, 15 deaths, and 400 injuries caused by dirty clothes dryer vents were reported to the US Fire Administration each year between 2002 and 2004. Of course you want to ensure that your dryer is not a fire hazard, which is why an annual professional cleaning of the venting exhaust sytem is important for the safety of your house and family. To help you understand the importance of this yearly maintenance duty, we would like to share with you some of the reasons why a professional dryer vent cleaning is so crucial.

Recent Dryer Vent Cleaning - Chesapeake VA

A Dirty Clothes Dryer Vent System Decreases the Efficiency of Your Dryer.

If your dryer vent is clogged with lint and debris, your clothes dryer cannot work properly. You may notice clothes still being wet or damp after going through a normal drying cycle. One of the main signs of a dirty vent and exhaust system, this should be a clear signal that you need to call Magic Sweep for a professional dryer vent cleaning. Another bad effect of a clogged dryer vent is having to use your dryer at its highest temperature. This decreases the life of the appliance, raises your electric bill, and can also lead to your heating element burning out or a fire igniting.

Dirty Dryer Exhaust Systems May Also Lead to the Possibility of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning.

If you have a gas-powered clothes dryer, it is important to ensure that it is properly vented and that the dryer’s exhaust vent is free from lint and debris blockages. If there are venting problems or blockages, poisonous carbon monoxide can be forced back into your home. Installing an alarm for carbon monoxide detecting is necessary. Without a carbon monoxide detector, you would never realize you are breathing in carbon monoxide until it is too late as this toxic gas is odorless and tasteless. Even electric dryers have the possibility of carbon monoxide leaks due to a dirty exhaust vent system.

Locations of Dryers in Newer Homes Make An Annual Dryer Vent Cleaning and Inspection a Necessity.

Newer home construction is much more complex, and architects are placing dryers in bathrooms, kitchens, closets, and other locations with no outside wall. Since the clothes dryer has no outside access to vent, a longer venting system has to be installed and typically contains bends. The bends in the additional length of this exhaust system provide more traps for lint to accumulate as well as a spot for animals and birds to hide to nest. An annual dryer vent cleaning is especially important with a longer venting exhaust system to protect your home from a possible fire.

You Faithfully Clean Your Dryer Vent Filter from Lint Before or After Each Load; However, You Still Need an Annual Professional Vent Cleaning.

Yes, routine removal of lint from the dryer vent can reduce the risk of fire by 90%, but you still need to schedule a professional cleaning of the dryer vent every year. The main reason is large clogs of lint can be found in the venting ducts as well as in the inner side of the wall. To be sure your dryer’s entire venting system is properly cleaned and inspected, you need to call a dryer exhaust technician from Magic Sweep to do this task for you.

If you would like to schedule an appointment for your annual dryer vent cleaning, contact Magic Sweep today. We can send our experienced technicians to your home to be sure your clothes dryer is not a dangerous fire hazard.